Monday, March 21, 2011

Protesting

Well today, while on Spring Break, the schools of Nevada met at the State Legislature building to do some protesting! The reason for the protest is the state is possibly planning to cut some costs in education. I have never protested anything before and since I am now a college student, I felt it is my civic duty to protest. Particularly when the protest is about education...MY EDUCATION! I am not trying to sound selfish but I want my damn education thank you very much.

It was quite a large turn-out. We had people from schools all over the state come here to Carson City. I live here in the state capital and the legislature building is like 3 or 4 blocks from my house, so I didn't have to go very far, thank goodness!

Anyways. The problem is the education is looking to be cut, which means the smaller schools, like the one I attend, would go away and the larger universities would nearly double or even triple their tuition costs. It also means cuts for schools K through 12! What the hell? That is not right. Education throughout the US is in the crapper and it seems like it is getting worse. Budget cuts on education are not the way to handle financial instabilities. Bringing in revenue is a better option. Along with about 40 other ideas.

Well the state politicians heard us, along with most of the people in town. It was probably the single most largest assembly they have ever had rally at the legislature building. So I guess that gave them something to think about...hopefully.

I don't wanna have to go to Reno to UNR to finish my schooling. It would be just a pain in the ass. I like my school. It's close(about 2 miles away), it has an awesome nursing program(which is what I am going for by the by), the classes have a smaller amount of students(so the one on one time with the professor is easier to have), it seems to be a good school for the older students(like me) to get their degree, and best of all it is low cost(so I am not spending an arm and a leg for my education)!

I know schools around the country have come across or will come across problems like this when it comes to politicians making decisions regarding education. I know that we live in hard times and I am paying for my own education, so I know money doesn't grow on trees(wish it did)! Taking the opportunity away from people is not the best way to go about cutting state spending! The politicians need to take a good look at themselves first!

Anyways that was how I spent my day. I hope everyone elses was good! Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. Wales always needs nurses. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take your Guy Fawkes mask and cloak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janus- Yes I am sure you do need nurses there. The problem is I can't take all of my guns with me! Zombie apocalypse is coming and I can't be left with my pants down...

    Drake- Remember...remember...the 5th of November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha House, you still owe me a toffee apple!

    ReplyDelete